Unfortunately, one year later St. Ciaran died of yellow fever and was buried under their original wooden church. This is where the 9th century stone ruin of Temple Ciaran now stands.
Round towers with wooden floors separating the tall space, were used during those times as a place to store important religious treasures, a bell tower and sometimes a place of sanctuary during assault. The door to the tower was several feet above the ground and accessible by ladder only.
But, it wasn’t until 1552 that the monastery was destroyed, when an English army regiment marched down from Athlone, ruined the buildings and stole all the treasures including the monastery books, stained glass and church bells. The remains of the ruined churches are dotted across the graveyards and fields which are encircled within the low stone walls of the monastery enclosure.