Sometime between 1299 and 1301 a single-story structure with cellars and a tower were built. The oldest parts of the current building, the Burghers’ Hall and the lower floors of the tower, may date to this time. The early function of the building was to facilitate trade, but as the town grew, it became an administrative center as well.
Below: The Great Hall built from 1354-1357. It originally had a wooden cieling. Cross-ribbed vaulting throughout was added in 1470.
The ground floor was allocated for military purposes and the general public had access only to the basement, where alcohol was served.
We peasants can still enjoy alcoholic beverages among the basement vaults because Piwnica Swidnicra restaurant is located beneath the town hall. Of course we had to have a drink there just to continue the tradition!
During the 19th century the courts moved to a separate building and Stary Ratusz became the site of the City Council and its supporting functions. There was also a major renovation of the south façade with the addition of neo-Gothic stone features including sculptural decoration.
Don’t miss a visit to this beautiful historic building it is an amazing place learn more about the history of Wroclaw, Poland.