The Modave family, who were a prominent family in the area, owned the castle from the 13th century until the middle of the 16th century. In the 16th century the castle and the estate of Modave became the property of the Haultepenne and de Saint-Fontaine families and by the time the Count Jean de Marchin bought the Castle for his son Jean-Gaspard, much of the original medieval architecture had either been destroyed by war or fallen to ruin.
While the restoration was begun during what is considered the Flemish Baroque period it was inspired by the grand French architecture of Louis XIV. 17th-century European art is generally referred to as Baroque, but from the mid to late 17th century, French art shows a classical adherence to certain rules of proportion and moderation. Under Louis XIV, the Baroque as it was practiced in Italy was not in French taste and the Chateau de Modave was to be in the style of a refined French palace.
below Stable Interior
The dignified symmetry of the façade with its triangular pediments over the front entrance and windows, the geometrical design of the brick and stone, the mansard roofs, and contrast between the center portion of the mansion in proportion to the side wings is typical of a country house designed by Mansart.
The Guard Room - This is the Grand Hall of the house. It has a ceiling that is unique in Europe. It displays the noble family tree of the count of Marchin. The ceiling was created by stucco worker, Jean-Christian Hansche around 1666-1667.
The second private apartment on the ground floor was that of the son of the Jean-Gaspard-Ferdinand de Marchin who gave his son the title of Count of Graville. It originally consisted of an antechamber, bedroom and cloak-room, but the rooms have been greatly reconfigured over time.
- Maximilian Henry of Bavaria, Elector of Cologne and Prince-Bishop of Liège (1682–1684);
- Cardinal William Egon of Furstenberg, and his heirs (1684–1706);
- Baron Arnold de Ville (1706–1772); and
- Anne-Léon, Duke of Montmorency, and his heirs (1772–1817).
When the new kitchen was built in the 1900's, a large stove-top and oven was installed. This oven is still in place in the kitchen.
There is also a Hotel and Restaurant on the property!
Be sure to check them out HERE!