Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons
Below: Basel Gate
In 1127, Solothurn was acquired by the powerful dukes of Zähringen. After the extinction of the Zähringer line in 1218 it finally became a free imperial city under the Holy Roman Emperor.
Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons
Verlag Hans Rohr: Zürich 1983.. Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons
St. Ursus of Solothurn was venerated in the city by the 5th century and the first church on the site was built in the Early Middle Ages. A Romanesque church might have existed, but there is no written or archeological evidence to support or refute it. The first documented record of a Gothic church comes from 1294. By the 18th century the Gothic church was in a poor condition, and in 1762 a tower collapsed forcing the city to begin planning to replace the building.
From 1762 to 1773, Gaetano Matteo Pisoni from the Ticino region, and later his nephew, Paolo Antonio Pisoni, designed and built the new cathedral. It is this cathedral you see today.